Combining Python with Flash Lite and Symbian C++
by Pankaj Nathani
1) The architecture for applications mixing languages
2) The strengths and weaknesses of various combinations of languages
3) How to combine Flash Lite with C++ or Java (with examples from KuneriLite and Jarpa)
4) How to combine Python with Flash Lite or C++ (with examples from Flyer and a tutorial on writing PyS60 extensions)
5) How to extend WRT widgets
The one that catched my eye, was the 4th one on the list! The title is too self explanatory to elaborate.
I went through this paper, which is co-authored by Felipe Andrade, Mikko Ohtamaa, Jussi Toivola and Mark Wilcox. It looks elegantly written and contains guide to make extensions for PyS60 in Symbian C++ with examples. It also includes, extending Python with Flash, using Flyer.
Last but not the least, few words quoted from the conclusion,
Unlike most other runtimes, you can never say, ‘Python can’t do it,’ since Python (with a bit of work) can do all the same things as native Symbian C++ applications. Unfortunately there isn’t always an off-the-shelf solution. We hope this paper has given helpful pointers for how to proceed in such a situation.
The Flyer Framework provides a free and simple way to add a Flash UI to a PyS60 application, or to extend Flash Lite applications with native platform features. For Python developers, Flyer gives you one way of building a richer graphical interface. On the other hand, for Flash developers it is the only extension mechanism which is portable across multiple platforms but also flexible enough to allow access to all native features on any platform.
- Python on Symbian: Mobile app development made easy We are pleased to announce the release of a new...
- Bing translator in Flash Lite Its been quite a long time I put my hands...
- Getting Started with Flash Lite 1.1 Game Development I found this wonderful tutorial on how to get started...
- SajiOS version 4 is out now (Flashlite + Python) My friend Sajid Ali has kindly informed be about...
- Nokia’s roadmap document released Yesterday Forum Nokia released it’s roadmap document on its prospective...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.